Looking to Start a Nonprofit?
Do you have a passion for helping others? Do you want to make a bigger impact in the world by taking that passion and starting your own nonprofit organization? You can do it and you can do it well! The key is to take that soul and idealism and combine it with the realism and strategy of the for-profit sector. Head and Heart: How to Run a Smart and Compassionate Nonprofit by Hillary Marotta, a 20-year nonprofit professional, walks new nonprofit leaders through the steps of establishing a nonprofit organization by marrying the ideas of big, giving hearts with successful business practices. Head and Heart will show you how to:
- determine if a nonprofit is right for you and your cause
- work step by step to establish a legal, legitimate organization based on your passion to help others
- begin fundraising, hiring the right people, and developing your mission, goals, and business strategy
- create a strong, effective board
- handle issues ranging from communication to effectiveness and efficiency, growth, succession, and everything in between
- avoid the most common pitfalls and missteps
- and much more!
Marotta’s background of service gives her a unique perspective in which she shares advice, stories, and real world examples in order for new nonprofits to avoid common mistakes and spare you some of the fear and overwhelming feeling of beginning an exciting new journey. If you have the desire to expand your service to others, to formalize a passion, or to turn a simple service idea into a business, it’s possible! In fact, with a bit of organization and commitment, it’s very doable. If you’re ready to take the next step, to make a more profound difference for your cause, Head and Heart: How to Run a Smart and Compassionate Nonprofit will get you there.