If you’re currently an engineer and have been offered a management job at a startup, this book is for you! If you’re an engineer wondering what your manager is supposed to do for you, this book is for you as well!
Drawing from the author’s experience as an engineer and manager, this book explains:
- When to consider doing management work.
- How to put together a team.
- What to consider when interacting with engineers.
- How to hire top engineers for your startup.
- How to pick engineering leaders.
- How to define processes and a process cookbook.
- When you don’t need a process.
- How to report to your managers.
- How compensation systems and promotion systems work, and when they fail.
- Foreword by Harper Reed.
This kind of books are nowhere to be found…as an engineer probing in the dark for “what’s next” I have looked very hard for career guidance for the past few years, and yours are the only books to give enlightenment. — Cindy Zhou
Whether experienced or aspiring, this book will be a great manual to help understand and be successful at this mysterious craft. — Harper Reed, from the Foreword.